Sunday, May 2, 2010

Inconspicuous consumption

I had myself a shopping spree over the past few days. Payday was Thursday so I decided to get some things I've been needing, mainly some new clothes so I can look halfway presentable for work. The main office for the Census is in our local mall so since I had to go over there that evening for work I figured I'd do some shopping, too.

The first stop was Sears. Since I'm not 15 anymore I have no problem with their selection of un-trendy, non-cool name brand clothes. In fact now, that's kind of a bonus. As long as it's made well and will last a long while i'm good. I picked up three pairs of chinos, two different shades of khaki and a nice hunter green. I also got a nicer t-shirt made form heavier material with odd piping accents. The kicker was finding a tank top (not a wife beater) with tikis on it. I wasn't really wowed by the selection of button-up shirts with collars they had so I headed to JC Penney's next. I found three that were cool. I usually have to get my shirts in the Big & Tall section 'cause my gut is the protruding type as opposed the the usual sagger you see on so many. God knows why but you can never find shirts with slimming, vertical stripes in the B&T section. I've noticed the same thing in women's clothes when I've been shopping with mom. This time I got lucky and found several so I was able to choose the two I liked best. And the third shirt was just plain awesome. It's this cool slate green color, if that makes sense, and it has those button flap epaulet things on the shoulders. The instant I saw it I had visions of THIS work safe VIDEO and ran with it right for the check out counter. I've got to get me some skinny ties now! I was looking for some new shoes as well but really didn't see any I liked that were on sale. Oh yeah, all the clothes I bought were on sale. I got all that for $140, which doesn't seem very sale-y compared to Wal-Mart but every time I buy a t-shirt there the seams start to unravel almost immediately. I was happy with what I got for what I paid. After that I went to Waldenbooks and got a new copy of the Serenity graphic novel Those Left Behind 'cause my old copy ended up on somebody else's bookshelf. I up-graded to the hard cover version.

Later that evening I went over to Fayetteville to help a co-worker figure out a few things he wasn't sure about, and after that we went out for a few beers and played pool.

Then Friday night I had dinner at Dirty Ernie's with my co-worker from the night before and treated myself to a nice dinner. This was a rough work week for us. Overall it went pretty smoothly but there were a lot of little things that went horribly wrong. Anyfood, I had the Bracioli filet with a half rack of ribs. Super NOM!

Yesterday was Free Comic Book Day so I picked up the following: The Tick #1, The Del Rey Showcase with excerpts from the graphic novelizations of Pride & Prej & Zombies, The Talisman and a few others, Love And Capes #13 (looks to be a romcom), The Sixth Gun #1 (a creepy supernatural Western), Owly and Friends one shot (all ages fun), Fractured Fables one shot (more all age fun), and a cool one shot flip book with one side being a Mouse Guard story and other being Fraggle Rock. I also picked up Green lantern Corps #47 and Walking Dead vol. 7. Those last two weren't free.

I had to go back over to the Census office today to pick up more crap. I had lunch with a pal (the one from dinner Friday night actually) and we nosed around a bit. I ended up buying another book, Fantasmagoria, An Atlas of Fabulous Creatures, Enchanted Beings, and magical Monsters. It's a fun little book with some nice art. It's mostly based on folklore but it gets modern sometimes like including a pic of Galadriel in the part on Elves, Gandolf and Harry Potter in with wizards and so forth. It was on sale for $8 so I figured, why not? Then we went in FYE and I got a bag of those awesome kiwi gummy candies from Japan. If you have access to a decent international food store you could prolly find them there for at least $2 cheaper.

In between all that I had teach a training class, cut some grass, and put out a fire in the kitchen. Literally. I'm behind on my shows on Hulu and I still have to finish reading my the Zombie Survival Guide. I'm behind on burning CDs for people (I've got them ripped just not burned yet). It's been a busy few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment