Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fuckity dang!

I thought I'd be clever and use my 4gig flash drive to transfer files from the lappy to the PC instead of wasting a disc. In that, I was successful. I moved all of my pics, music and movies at once instead of the three or four CD-ROMs it would have used otherwise, and in a fraction of the time. Yay technology! Being my life, though, there were complications.

Downside No. 1) None of the file folders for the pics made the switch for some reason. I now have a ginormous single file full of ever pic I ever took. For the most part the pics are grouped together as if they were still in folders. For example, all the pics from a party are together. I'm guessing it was because most of those kinds of pics were taken with the digital camera and Windows 7 used some bit of info in the file (the original number name given the pic by the camera, or the date it was taken maybe) to organize them. In the case of folders containing pics I took with the digital and my old 35mm it's anybody's guess. In the case of my trip to the Pacific Northwest and a few others they're pretty much all out of order since I scanned the 35mm pics into the old old lappy and they all have some other sort of secret computer naming system going on.

Downside No. 2) None of the names I gave the pics made the switch. For example, what used to be "Ben and Dennis, Bridge Day 2006" is now 572 or whatever. It seems that Windows 7 just assigned them all numbers from 003 to 2661.

Downside No. 3) For some reason - I'm going with a mix of incompetence and deceitfulness - Jesse somehow managed to keep a bunch of pics in a file, or files, I knew nothing about. Nothing gross, just random day to day stuff, a few weekend trips. It's kind of like we do live in the same town and I keep bumping into him even though I go to all new grocery stores and restaurants.

Downside No. 4) I have to do it all over again, re-organizing and renaming the pics; a whole new round of re-deleting pics with Jesse. You know how lazy I am. The deleting is no big deal but all the others will be a chore.

it's not all bad though.

Upside No. 1) A huge majority of the pics are also stored on Photbucket with the exact same folder names. In the case of the PNW trip this is a huge upside.

Upside No. 2) In the pics that Jesse had squirreled away there are lots of pics of me I've never seen before, good pics even. You know how I love to look at myself.

So two sides up and three down. It could be worse. Goddam polyhedrons!

No comments:

Post a Comment