Sunday, August 7, 2011

Athena

For the past six years or so I've had a sebaceous cyst on my scalp. It's been steadily getting bigger, as they're wont to do. I haven't been able to get it taken care of before now because I usually had more pressing health issues or car repairs that required my money. One of the benefits of living at home is that you can splurge on cosmetic surgery.

The procedure was pretty simple, only took about an hour. They shaved off some hair, made a slice, did some sniping and scooping, then stitched me up. The shot for the local anesthetic was the only thing that hurt, and even then not much. After that kicked in my head matched my heart in that it didn't feel anything. The doc showed it to me after he got it out. He said it looked like an ovary but I thought it was more like a water chestnut. The nurse was quicker than I expected and put the thing in a specimen jar before I could get a good pic so these will have to do.





That's the second time I've had a Something chopped off of me and I felt the intense urge to eat it. I managed to resist. They sent the cyst off for biopsy jut as a matter of course so I wan't able to bring it home and give it a proper burial like I did the crazy big skin tag from a couple years ago. For some reason I can't find that post to link to.

My head is a bit sore but they gave me decent pain killers to get me through several days. The stitches are starting to give me itches. I know that's a good sign and means shit is healing up but when my hair flops over the wrong way it really drives me crazy. I think I'm gonna have to forego doing Locks Of Love this year for the sake of not breaking down and scratching the hell out of the scar. It looks like this:




I haven't been able to keep a bandage on it after the first night but it doesn't seem to be oozy so I'll just let it go as is. I have to go back in ten days (from Friday) to get the stitches out. You should send me sympathy cookies to help with my recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment